New Music Director
Cambridge Chorale is seeking to appoint a new Music Director (MD) from January 2023 to succeed Owain Park, who is stepping down after six years as MD.
The choir is looking for a talented, dynamic and ambitious MD, who shares its passion for high quality music-making. The successful candidate will have the vision and capability to lead and challenge one of the region’s most accomplished adult chamber choirs. The appointment will be for one year initially, but with the firm expectation that it will be renewed thereafter.
- To further develop the choir’s high musical standards
- To prepare and direct weekly Thursday evening rehearsals and one full-day weekend rehearsal per term
- To conduct around five main events per season, most of which will be in and around Cambridge
- To choose and compile programmes in consultation with the committee
- To recommend soloists and instrumentalists as required
- To help organise/participate in additional activities, such as recordings, competitions, tours and other singing engagements as agreed with the committee
- To hold auditions for new members and carry out periodic vocal health checks for existing members
- To liaise closely with the committee including attending one committee meeting per term
The choir and its committee will support the MD, providing the necessary resources to develop the choir’s musical quality, repertoire and reputation. We have not previously employed a rehearsal accompanist; the ability to provide some piano support during rehearsals would be of benefit, but this is not essential.
The choir pays its MD a monthly honorarium in addition to rehearsal and concert fees. Remuneration will be negotiated with the successful candidate, consistent with their skills and experience. We approach this with a desire to pay fair fees to a professional person, within the constraints of an amateur, not-for-profit organisation.
The successful candidate is likely to:
- be an established professional director with experience of conducting a high quality choir
- be able to effectively coach the choir in aspects of vocal technique
- have the vision, commitment and enthusiasm to guide and develop the choir
- have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to communicate enthusiastically with choir and audience
- create an atmosphere of enjoyment and passion for music making in rehearsals and concerts
- be professional, well organised and reliable
How to apply
Applicants are invited to email their CV, the names and contact details of two professional referees and a covering letter outlining their suitability for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by midday on Monday 5th September 2022.
We plan to hold interviews over the weekend of Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th September 2022. Short-listed candidates will then be invited to run part of a rehearsal with the choir on the afternoon of Saturday 15th October 2022.
We appreciate that musicians are often working at weekends, so please indicate in your application if any of these dates is not feasible.
If you have any queries before submitting an application, please email email@example.com.